List:       pear-dev
Subject:    Re: [PEAR-DEV] Var_Dump class modified
From:       "Tomas V.V.Cox" <cox () idecnet ! com>
Date:       2002-06-26 16:34:53

LIMBOURG Arnaud wrote:

> Go go go !!
>
> If you don't have a CVS account apply for it ;))

Yeah, and let's start the "in which category" thread :-)

> A french web magazine wrote an article about PEAR. I won't go into detail
> but it is not a nice article. I didn't read though, it is what stems from
> the forum.
>
> Anyway, a major point was that there not enough documentation and that you
> need to go too deep in the code to do something useful.

I guess that PEAR is not yet ready for novice users, where novice users
== people not used with some programming techniques or lastest PHP
features and not used to read the sources (and why not: not suscribed to
pear lists).

Maybe when the web gets more open, people could get more informed on
what PEAR provides, easy manage packages, track changes, etc. and if
eventually PEAR developers starts to ship some basic USAGE.txt and test
files, that could change.

Personally I'm happy with PEAR because I was to able to successfully
introduce it in my production developments. I'm happy too, because the
code base is very large and always I needed some quick functionality to
do something, there was a class/method from where copy-paste. I would
recommed people to read, at least cursory, the sources of the classes in
PEAR.

Tomas V.V.Cox