List:       pdns-users
Subject:    Re: [Pdns-users] Throttling DNS requests in PowerDNS recursor
From:       Peter van Dijk <peter.van.dijk () netherlabs ! nl>
Date:       2014-06-30 6:31:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hello,

On 25 Jun 2014, at 18:26 , Aki Tuomi <cmouse@youzen.ext.b2.fi> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 11:33:44AM -0400, Edwin wrote:
> > I was wondering if it is possible to throttle/rate-limit DNS
> > requests that are incoming to a PowerDNS recursing server, without
> > having to rely on IPtables. A little of context, we are getting
> > thousands of requests per second to our resolvers from some (a
> > handful) IP addresses, and we wish to proactively throttle requests
> > when the query rate exceeds a certain threshold, in order to avoid
> > the abuse of our servers.
>
> The 3.6.0 version combined with a particular LUA script will achieve this. See
> http://mailman.powerdns.com/pipermail/pdns-dev/2014-June/001452.html
>
> And
> https://github.com/Habbie/pdns/blob/luapolicy/pdns/policy-example-rrl.lua

That script is for the upcoming auth release. The Lua interface in the Recursor has \
different hooks (but porting scripts is doable). That specific script will do no good \
for your Recursor issues, however.

This may interest you: \
http://blog.powerdns.com/2014/04/03/further-dos-guidance-packages-and-patches-available/

Kind regards,