List:       pdns-users
Subject:    Re: [Pdns-users] AXFR Error: Unknown record was stored incorrectly, need 3 fields, got 1
From:       Anthony Eden <anthonyeden () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-07-04 8:13:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Anthony Eden <anthonyeden@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I sent this to Peter directly and did not CC the list...
>
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:06 PM, Peter van Dijk <
> peter.van.dijk@netherlabs.nl> wrote:
>
> > Hello Anthony,
> >
> > On Jul 3, 2012, at 17:41 , Anthony Eden wrote:
> >
> > > I am using PowerDNS 3 with a MySQL backend and am attempting an AXFR,
> > however I am receiving the following error for a URL record (which we store
> > and handle with a custom backend during normal resolution)
> > >
> > > Exception: Unknown record was stored incorrectly, need 3 fields, got 1
> > >
> > > This error is described in http://wiki.powerdns.com/trac/ticket/156and is \
> > > marked as resolved. That was against 2.9.21 however so I wonder if
> > this is a regression or something else?
> >
> > URL records are not supported in PowerDNS 3 and up. How does your custom
> > backend handle AXFR? Or are you leaving AXFR to a gsql backend?
> >
> > Kind regards,
>

> My goal was to have AXFR on its own host and use a gqsl backend. It seems
> that it is blowing up on some other non-standard record types we have as
> well, so I think a custom AXFR backend is probably the best choice at this
> time. What do you think?

 After speaking to Peter on IRC here are the options I can pursue:

1.) Modify the gmysql-list-query so that it skips custom records (like
URL). When we switch to DNSSEC then we would modify
the gmysql-list-query-auth query instead.
2.) Discuss with the customer another approach for slaving since dropping
records seems to negate the benefits of the slave.

I'm leaning towards option 2 at this point but am awaiting feedback from
our customer.

Thanks, Peter, for helping out.

-Anthony

--