List:       pdns-users
Subject:    Re: [Pdns-users] PowerDNS Monitoring and gathering Statistics
From:       Brad Dameron <Brad.Dameron () clearwire ! com>
Date:       2010-11-25 18:55:53

We use Zenoss open source version. Then on the server I created a snmpd.local.conf \
file that has the following:

exec all-outqueries      /opt/snmp-scripts/recursor_stats all-outqueries
exec cache-entries       /opt/snmp-scripts/recursor_stats cache-entries
exec cache-hits          /opt/snmp-scripts/recursor_stats cache-hits

etc, etc.

The recursor_stats script is used for older version that are not fully multithreaded. \
Here is what it looks like:

#!/bin/sh
#Pull pdns_recursor stats for use via Zenoss
#On the servers running pdns_recursor, we have four processes running, two for each
#interface
PIDFILEONE=/var/run/recursor1/pdns_recursor.pid
PIDFILETWO=/var/run/recursor2/pdns_recursor.pid
RUNNINGCOUNT=0
if [ -e $PIDFILEONE ]; then
        for PID in `cat $PIDFILEONE`; do
                PDNSCOUNTONE=`/usr/bin/rec_control --socket-dir=/var/run/recursor1/ \
--socket-pid=$PID get $1`  RUNNINGCOUNT=$(( $PDNSCOUNTONE+$RUNNINGCOUNT ))
        done
fi
if [ -e $PDFILETWO ]; then
        for PID in `cat $PIDFILETWO`; do
                PDNSCOUNTTWO=`/usr/bin/rec_control --socket-dir=/var/run/recursor2/ \
--socket-pid=$PID get $1`  RUNNINGCOUNT=$(( $PDNSCOUNTTWO+$RUNNINGCOUNT ))
        done
fi
echo $RUNNINGCOUNT

We run 2 daemons each with set with --fork so we have to do a count of all the \
daemons.

Then in Zenoss we use the OID of 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.8.1.101.1, \
1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.8.1.101.2, 1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.8.1.101.3 to pull these.

Brad

This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the \
intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly \
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the \
recipient), please contact the sender by reply email and delete all copies of this \
message.