List:       pcc-list
Subject:    Re: [Pcc] gas for i8086
From:       Thorsten Glaser <tg () mirbsd ! de>
Date:       2014-12-27 14:33:50

William D. Jones dixit:

> I believe gas supports i86 to the extent that it will generate 16-bit overrides
> in 32-bit protected mode, but it does not understand real mode (without a

Wrong. (Look up ".code16" which existed since 1995.)

> Additionally, GAS still doesn't have a concept of segments beyond
> .text, .data, .bss

Wrong, but dependent on the output format. I have ELF as
intermediate, so I can use arbitrary sections, with a linker
script to beat them into shape for the resulting binary.

I regularily have at least ".section .comment" in my code.
And I use binutils from 20070628, basically right before
GPLv3 came out.

There *is* no ready-to-use support for OMF to generate
DOS or OS/2 .EXE files, true. But it's not totally useless,
and I vaguely recall the existence of (nōn-free but either
freeware or shareware) linkers that could help there. (As
I've got no personal interest in .EXE file generation, I
haven't bookmarked them.)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
(gnutls can also be used, but if you are compiling lynx for your own use,
there is no reason to consider using that package)