List:       pcc-list
Subject:    Re: [Pcc] more compiling on ubuntu and osx issues
From:       Anders Magnusson <ragge () ludd ! ltu ! se>
Date:       2014-10-02 17:07:36

Travis Siegel skrev den 2014-09-30 21:01:
> I just grabbed the latest version of the sources, and compiled on my
> osx (10.6) machine, and all went well.  I then logged into my ubuntu
> machine, and did the same.  There seems to be a problem with the scan
> portion of the make file.  The error message is:
>
> :  ./scan.l
> mv -f .c scan.c
> mv: cannot stat ‘.c’: No such file or directory
> Makefile:83: recipe for target 'scan.c' failed
> make[2]: *** [scan.c] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/tsiegel/source/pcc/cc/ccom'
> Makefile:12: recipe for target 'all' failed
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/tsiegel/source/pcc/cc'
> Makefile:12: recipe for target 'all' failed
> make: *** [all] Error 2
It seems like a problem with how your system detects lex, or something.
Is lex installed as it should?
I compiled on Ubuntu myself without any issues with this (other problems
though).

> This is a ubuntu machine running the utopic unicorn development branch.
>
> Interestingly enough, the pcc-libs compile fine on ubuntu, but not on
> 10.6.  The error I get on osx for the library compile is:
> tsiegel$ make
> ===> libsoftfloat
> pcc -O -DSOFTFLOAT_FOR_GCC -I. -I./arch/i386 -isystem
> ../libpcc/include  -c bits64/softfloat.c
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:13:suffix or operands invalid for `push'
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:23:suffix or operands invalid for `pop'
> **about 900 lines of the above mostly push**)
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:5377:unknown section type: symbol_stubs
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:5377:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued
> 115 (s).
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:5379:Unknown pseudo-op: .indirect_symbol
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:5379:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued
> 95 (_).
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:5382:unknown section type: symbol_stubs
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:5382:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued
> 115 (s).
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:5384:Unknown pseudo-op: .indirect_symbol
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:5384:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued
> 95 (_).
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:5387:unknown section type: non_lazy_symbol_pointers
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:5387:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued
> 76 (L).
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:5388:Unknown pseudo-op: .indirect_symbol
> /tmp/ctm.okEvon:5388:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued
> 95 (_).
> make[1]: *** [softfloat.o] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
Do not expect pcc to work on OSX as of now.  Someone that knows how to
deal with
OSX binaries need to fix it.

> Interestingly enough, although it looks like it's trying to compile in
> 64-bit mode, I am not running in 64-bit mode on osx, so it's possible
> that's the problem.
>

> On another note, I see that the main pcc page no longer has any
> reference to the pcc-libs.  Is this deliberate? I seem to recall we
> had issues on list before, from folks complaining pcc couldn't compile
> programs properly because libs were missing.  At that time (it was a
> few years ago) I added links to the pcc-libs on the main page, but
> that seems to have been removed.  Something should probably be put in
> place, to let folks know where the libs are, and how to obtain them
> via cvs just like the compiler itself.

pcc-libs is really needed, yes, so nothing about it has been removed
deliberately.
Do you know where it were? There is revision control on the wiki pages :-)

-- Ragge