List:       pcc-list
Subject:    Re: [Pcc] Current PCC broken on Ubuntu 12.04
From:       u-wsnj () aetey ! se
Date:       2014-09-30 17:30:35

> >part of the multiarch support. I don't have a current checkout at hand,
> >but the correct fix is to add it to the list of system include path,
> >similar to what /usr/include gets. Library search path should be used
> >for crti.o IIRC.
> >
> Ok, yep, I did that when testing.
>
> The thing I was thinking about was how to make this "seamless" or so.
> It would be possible to put it in autoconf (if ubuntu/i386 do something,
> else if ubuntu/x86_64 something else, ...) but it is somewhat a special
> case.

It is this kind of stuff which I mean by a "distro-specific pollution"...

> But maybe that is how it should be done...

No, if you ask me. :)

Imho this is a part of the "ubuntu-compatibility" or
"multiarch-compatibility" and should be kept well separated from "pcc".

The knowledge of where the resources are placed is only reliably available
to the distro-specific packager, not generally. Trying to keep knowledge
about all possible or "all relevant" distros and their mindsets as a part
of pcc will both take your time and be guaranteed to regularly fall
out-of sync.

On the other side if "multiarch" setup has an underlying standard (?)
you may wish to follow it - if there is indeed a standard of how to
implement "multiarch".

(I guess I achieve in my setup among others what multiarch does, but
in an extremely different way, so let's avoid confusing a goal with a
certain implementation of it).

Rune