List:       pcc-list
Subject:    Re: complation failed: shadowed declaration
From:       Thorsten Glaser <tg () mirbsd ! de>
Date:       2012-08-17 15:26:19

Iain Hibbert dixit:

>> Actually. Portable software should never build with -Werror by default.
>
>Well you could be right, though it is useful during development as you

Mhm. The problem is that you cannot foresee, either for development
or release, on what platforms, with what versions of external tools
and which flags it will be built (also think bisecting, so fixing
things later may not help). Hence my preference for disabled-by-default.
I think I had this enabled in mksh, but only for some short time, as
it did trouble me on other platforms. (And it may not even be -Werror
but -errwarn=%all or +We or -diag_error 1-10000 or -Yc,/Wx or -Yc,-wx
or -Yc,-w! or -qflag=i:i or -w2 or whatever.)

>- leave it as-is for now but remove the -Werror for a release branch

No, that would be keeping it where it hurts most ;)

>- add a configure option eg --disable-Werror

I don't know, maybe --enable-werror? But either way, I think the
GNU toolchain has that one, too. I think I can live with that ;)

bye,
//mirabilos
--
FWIW, I'm quite impressed with mksh interactively. I thought it was much
*much* more bare bones. But it turns out it beats the living hell out of