List:       pcc-list
Subject:    More about liveness of regs
From:       Anders Magnusson <ragge () dc ! ltu ! se>
Date:       2007-11-06 15:55:30

I have looked at hard regs liveness analysis somewhat, and found a few
things that I haven't got a good idea how to solve yet.  Ideas are
welcome :-)

To do liveness analysis on hard regs also is not a problem, but:

-  Involving hard regs may cause graphs to be uncolorable (and
compilation fail) if the
   target writer do not move data to temporaries as he should (should be
fixed anyway).
-  If optimization is not used, no basic block splitup is done and
therefore long-range
   liveness analysis will be unusable.  Short-range will work though.

The best way I can think of to handle this is to let the target be
responsible for all moves
between registers and temporaries and only have very short ranges of
live hard regs
(only inside basic blocks).  It also turns over the responsibility to
move arguments
to temporaries to the target instead of in dclargs().

Comments?

-- Ragge