List:       pauldotcom
Subject:    =?utf-8?Q?BHIS=20Webcast=20=2D=20Py2k20=20=2D=20Transitioning=20from=20Python2=20to=20Python3?=
From:       John Strand - Black Hills Information Security <john () b
Date:       2019-03-11 17:13:20

Hello all!

This is Joff Thyer, BHIS tester, co-host of Security Weekly, SANS instructor for the \
Python course, and in this BHIS webcast, we are going to talk about the 2020 End of \
Life for Python2. We'll address what the short and medium term impacts will likely \
be. Key language differences will be highlighted with techniques to modify your code \
to be forward compatible.

Please register for Py2k20 - Transitioning from Python2 to Python3 on Mar 12, 2019 \
2:00 PM EDT at:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8805974730469890817

As a SANS instructor teaching SEC573: Automating Information Security with Python, \
over the past three years, I have steadily moved my teaching materials, examples, \
demonstrations and personal coding to Python3. In this process, I have had to break \
habits and learn new habits to write Python3 compatible scripts. I also spend \
considerable effort showing people how to write Python2 scripts which are forward \
compatible with Python3 in order to ease the transition.

The largest barrier that most people struggle with is the idea that Python3 has \
changed the default string encoding to UTF-8 rather than simple byte encoding. Once \
you learn how to manage your string objects, the remaining transition issues are \
mostly modern improvements to the language which most people consider advantageous to \
adopt.

Since Python2 will no longer have active releases after 2020, it is important to \
embrace the change and move forward with the Python scripting community.

- Joff Thyer

P.S. I am teaching the SANS Python course a few times this year in many locations \
throughout the world, https://www.sans.org/instructors/jonathan-thyer