List:       pauldotcom
Subject:    [Pauldotcom] Slow patching process
From:       brian_erdelyi () yahoo ! com (Brian Erdelyi)
Date:       2011-07-07 18:22:38

Is your bottleneck in approval or implementation/rollout.

For Windows critical and security updates we use WSUS to automatically deploy to all \
workstations when they are available.  We used to have a tiered deployment that would \
require various approvals.  After getting more comfortable that it doesn't impact \
users we have automated this.  Servers are scheduled during their regular maintenance \
window... critical and security related updates are pre-approved.

We only hold off on IE and java updates as these will break some core business \
applications.

.b