List:       patchmanagement
Subject:    Re: [patchmanagement] BatchPatch and Solarwinds PatchManger
From:       Brandon Payne <bjp106 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-05-29 15:17:02

We use both BatchPatch and SolarWinds Patch Manager. Mostly Patch Manager.

Patch Manager - For the most part, it works pretty smooth once everything
is setup. Our main complaint is the GUI and lack of ease of use. There are
some quirky things with the interface and support is a bit lacking as well.
We're looking for alternatives but am finding a lot of other patching
products face similar issues or have high costs. You are able to automate
patching with Patch Manager so that is a plus.

BatchPatch - We use this mainly for just one system as it requires some
unique shutdown/startup procedures and we're able to execute that easier
with BatchPatch and monitor the process better. Thats not to say Patch
manager can't, we just get better insight with BatchPatch. This is more of
a manual -type software though. But we also use BatchPatch for other uses
other than patching, like deploying one-off scripts to servers as needed,
checking disk space....

I have used PDQ Deploy in a previous job and I really like that software. I
have not kept up with its current capabilities, but we have considered it
in the future.

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 11:28 AM, Viar, Andy <viar@mgmc.com> wrote:

> I use BatchPatch alongside WSUS to patch our medical center's servers. The
> only "gotcha" I can think of is that a basic knowledge of scripting is
> useful to get full use out of the product. I have not tried Solarwinds
> PatchManager.
>

> *Andy Viar*
>
> *Senior System Administrator*
>
> *Server Integrity, Patching, & Compliance*
>
> *Mary Greeley Medical Center*

---
PatchManagement.org is hosted by Shavlik

The content on the email list is intended for assisting administrators.  If you would \
like to use any of this content in a blog or media publication, please contact the \
owners of the list for approval.

If you are unable to unsubscribe via this email address, please email
owner-patchmanagement@patchmanagement.org