List:       patchmanagement
Subject:    Re: [patchmanagement] Required Updates
From:       Peter Tsamwa <secmwll () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-06-29 14:11:32

Good day Team,

Do you have a patching process document you can share, e.g.
(administrative) guidelines and policies. i want to adopt for my
environment.

You can send it to my gmail

Best Regards
Peter
secmwll@gmail.com
System Administrator

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 3:28 AM, Luke Murray <Luke.Murray@wintec.ac.nz>
wrote:

> Agree with taking the aggressive patching schedule and forcing a deadline
> with a max of a week after original deployment.
>
> There is always the mix between giving the users enough time to defer the
> updates and making sure that devices don't reboot during the work day. But
> my personal opinion is as long as there is a notification to the user that
> the device will restart in x time and to save work there usually shouldn't
> be a problem and if there is - the patches can either be rolled back or PC
> replaced with one from the storeroom.
>
> There is a certain amount of awareness - if users are aware that it is
> that time of month again - they should be prepared for it and soon should
> have it as the norm. If IT changes the way things are done often, it causes
> more confusions and Incidents raised.
>
> 1. Deploy to Test/Dev pilot group on Day 1
> 2. 3-4 days later deploy to Production
>
> Kind regards
>
> Luke Murray
> Snr Infrastructure Engineer
> Wintec
> Private Bag 3036, Waikato Mail Centre, Hamilton 3240
> Phone: +64-(0)7-834 8800 ext 3343
> Fax: +64-(0)7-
> Email: Luke.Murray@wintec.ac.nz
> Web: http://www.wintec.ac.nz/

[Attachment #3 (text/html)]

document you can share, e.g. (administrative) guidelines and policies. i want to \
Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 3:28 AM, Luke Murray <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a \
href="mailto:Luke.Murray@wintec.ac.nz" \
solid;padding-left:1ex">Agree with taking the aggressive patching schedule and \
forcing a deadline with a max of a week after original deployment.<br> <br>
There is always the mix between giving the users enough time to defer the updates and \
making sure that devices don&#39;t reboot during the work day. But my personal \
opinion is as long as there is a notification to the user that the device will \
restart in x time and to save work there usually shouldn&#39;t be a problem and if \
there is - the patches can either be rolled back or PC replaced with one from the \
storeroom.<br> <br>
There is a certain amount of awareness - if users are aware that it is that time of \
month again - they should be prepared for it and soon should have it as the norm. If \
IT changes the way things are done often, it causes more confusions and Incidents \
raised.<br> <br>
1. Deploy to Test/Dev pilot group on Day 1<br>
2. 3-4 days later deploy to Production<br>
Kind regards<br>
Luke Murray<br>
Snr Infrastructure Engineer<br>
Wintec<br>
Private Bag 3036, Waikato Mail Centre, Hamilton 3240<br>
Phone: <a href="tel:%2B64-%280%297-834%208800%20ext%203343" \
                value="+6478348800">+64-(0)7-834 8800 ext 3343</a><br>
Fax: +64-(0)7-<br>
Email: <a href="mailto:Luke.Murray@wintec.ac.nz">Luke.Murray@wintec.ac.nz</a><br>
Web: <a href="http://www.wintec.ac.nz/" rel="noreferrer" \
-----Original Message-----<br>