List:       patchmanagement
Subject:    [patchmanagement] Still having issues with WSUS and scheduled updates - SUCCESS! (?)
From:       Michael Leone <oozerdude () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-05-30 13:17:12

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 1:30 AM, Markus Klocker
<markus.klocker@univie.ac.at> wrote:
> What about the setting "Always automatically restart at the scheduled time"?
> This normally gets the reboot done.

So on Thu I verified that I had the above setting enabled. I also
disabled "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic
updates". And set the install time to be Friday @ 1PM.
(I took Friday off).

And lo and behod! My Win2012R2 server did actually install and reboot,
even though I had left it with a local admin logged into the console.

I do see a weird entry in the event log: I see an

event 1074, a restart has been initiated on behalf of NT
AUTHORITY/SYSTEM for the following reason: Operating System: Recovery
(Planned). Reason code: 0x900303002.

(Why OS *Recovery*, I don't know)

Then I see a warning, event ID 1073: the attempt by user <username> to
restart/shutdown computer <computername> failed.

Uhhh ... why??

Then, 15 minutes later or so, I see the machine rebooted, and I see
entries that say updates were successfully applied.

So:
I told it to apply updates at 1PM.
It started doing that at 1:01.
It finished the installation process at 1:14 (there were 8 updates),
and said it would be restarted in 15 minutes.
At 1:30, I see that event ID 1074, about restarting, followed
immediately by the event ID 1073, about the restart being aborted
At 1:48, it actually rebooted.

So I dunno why the issues with the restart. BUT: it *did* restart.

So I may have all the GPO settings correct (at last!)

I will try rolling back this test server to the snapshot I took before
I started all this, and see if happens again properly. (I'll set the
GPO to restart on Tueday morning, so I won't have to wait so long).

---
PatchManagement.org is hosted by Shavlik

The content on the email list is intended for assisting administrators.  If you would \
like to use any of this content in a blog or media publication, please contact the \
owners of the list for approval.

If you are unable to unsubscribe via this email address, please email
owner-patchmanagement@patchmanagement.org