List:       patchmanagement
Subject:    RE: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS08-062 - Important
From:       "Ziots, Edward" <EZiots () Lifespan ! org>
Date:       2009-07-30 14:02:37

Actually,

When you look at the KB closer, and then take a look at your IIS setup,
and look at the risk inheirent to your organization you might find that
the risk is not that high or negligible at all.

1) IPP must be enabled, by default in Windows 2003 with IIS 6.0 it isn't
enabled as an extension, therefore risk is mitigated.

2) How could an attacker exploit the vulnerability? (From the Kbase)
An attacker could send a specially crafted HTTP POST request to a
vulnerable web server that would cause the server to connect to a
machine controlled by the attacker acting as a printer using IPP.
(Again if you remove the POST as the available HTTP verbs to the
webserver, then the method used to exploit is not available, therefore
risk is mitigated.

3) Do you really need to use IPP, given its flaws and issues going all
the way back to IIS 5.0 on Windows 2000? I think we all would be a
little smarter about what we enable in IIS for functionality building
off the lessons of the past, less we are gluttons for punishment and
want to make the same mistakes over and over again and put the
organization/bussiness's we work for at risk. I, for one, are not of
that majority of putting business at risk.

4) There is public exploit code and attacks on going with this flaw, but
you need to look at your controls in place, and ascertain how likely
that this is going to happen in your organization/business and likewise,
again it comes down to risk management.

Plain and simple, if you aren't doing the risk assessments and
mitigations and then assessing the residual risk of these
vulnerabilities based on the controls you have in place and the
likelihood of attack and the successful compromise then you aren't
advising your businesses correctly as to what risks they are truly up
against, thus creating more work and worry and uncertainity which helps
nobody in the end.

Don: Question, which other attack vectors is the IPP ISAPI.dll if not
loaded as an extension and not loaded into inetinfo.exe or w3wp.exe
process, have within IIS?  If it isn't loaded it isn't loaded, nothing
to attack if the process isn't loaded into memory, or available by any
other means, unless you could possibly get it to load by COM
Instantiation or something like that.

EZ

Edward Ziots
Network Engineer
Lifespan Organization
MCSE,MCSA,MCP+I, ME, CCA, Security +, Network +
eziots@lifespan.org