List:       patchmanagement
Subject:    Re: Video included, Office Web not. So consider killing a few more bits when you are patching
From:       Susan Bradley <sbradcpa () pacbell ! net>
Date:       2009-07-16 2:28:59

Impact of Workaround: After the kill bit is set, you will no longer be
able to use the OWC Spreadsheet functionality within the Office Web
Components ActiveX Control in Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, or
any application that honors kill bits. This will not affect the standard
operation of Microsoft Office and most users will not notice any change
after setting the kill bit. OWC is primarily used by Web applications,
including internal business applications, Microsoft Office Project Web
Access, and the Office 2003 Add-in: Web Parts and Components. It may
also be used in some VBA solutions within Microsoft Office. Once the
kill bit is set, these applications will not be able to use any
functionality that relies on OWC Spreadsheet control within the Office
Web Components ActiveX Control.
------------------

New advisory info.

Download details: Office 2003 Add-in: Web Parts and Components:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=38be67a5-2056-46a1-84b1-337ffb549c5c&DisplayLang=en \

On a bog standard SharePoint v2 and v3 with Office 2007 I saw no
issues.  But if you are heavy into SharePoint and have that web part, test.

Jamie Riden wrote:
> 2009/7/14 Susan Bradley <sbradcpa@pacbell.net>:
>
> > The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC):
> > http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2009/07/14/july-2009-bulletin-release.aspx
> >
> > http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=6790
> > Cumulative killbit update, adds killbits for the recently discussed video
> > ActiveX control.
> > *Note there are recently discovered killbits one should set that are not
> > included in this update*.
> >
> > Video included, Office Web not.  So consider killing a few more bits when
> > you are patching
> >

> Hi all,
>
> Anyone seen any negative impact from setting the OWC killbits?
>
> thanks,
> Jamie

---
When posting or replying to messages on this list, please send all
emails in plain text format.  HTML formatted messages will not be accepted.

PatchManagement.org is hosted by Shavlik Technologies

If you are unable to unsubscribe via this email address, please email
owner-patchmanagement@patchmanagement.org