List:       patchmanagement
Subject:    Re: Is MS08-067 Wormable?
From:       Emin <emin.atac () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-26 8:20:13

FYI,

http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2008/11/25/more-ms08-067-exploits.aspx
"It is also interesting to note that the worm patches the vulnerable
API in memory so the machine will not be vulnerable anymore. It is not
that the malware authors care so much about the computer as they want
to make sure that other malware will not take it over too..."

me> This is simply QA in malware production process.

> Quoting "Emin"
> VG article about ASLR mitigation
> MS08-067 Worm in the wild?
> http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=5275

> 31/10 "Proof of Concept Binaries for MS08-067 Targeting English Windows OS's"
> http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001525.html
> "Its function is to add the guest account to the administrators group,"

> 3/11 "Worm Exploiting MS08-067 in the Wild"
> http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001526.html
> "The dropped components include a kernel mode DDOS-bot"

> me> IOW, it's a rootkit and by nature it aims at remaining stealth...

> me> All what we see confirm that there's a malware industry outside
> that's trying to make money.
> me> I'm also glad to see that the industrial production of malware
> arose early this year is being slow down because of QA requirements in
> development.

> 5/11
> http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2008/11/05/latest-on-ms08-067.aspx

> Quoting "Susan Bradley, CPA "

> http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/archive/2008/11/04/is-ms08-067-wormable.aspx
>
> A couple of weeks ago Microsoft released an out-of-band security update
> in bulletin MS08-067
> <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-067.mspx>.
> Looking at the type of vulnerability and the fact that the issue was
> already being exploited in the wild at the time, this was a good
> decision. If you have not already installed this security update, you
> should stop reading this right now and return after you have installed
> the update.
>
> The problem fixed in MS08-067 is eerily reminiscent of the
> vulnerabilities that resulted in the Blaster and Sasser worms.
> Therefore, for obvious reasons, the question arises whether MS08-067 is
> wormable or not. Microsoft claimed in various outlets that it was
> wormable "on older systems.
> <http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2008/10/23/ms08-067-released.aspx>"
> Michael Howard backs that up with some interesting analysis on the SDL
> blog <http://blogs.msdn.com/sdl/archive/2008/10/22/ms08-067.aspx>. The
> Secure Windows Initiative <http://blogs.technet.com/swi/> (SWI) blog
> also discusses the issue and points to a number of mitigations designed
> to reduce the "wormability" on newer operating systems. By "older
> systems" Microsoft really means "not Vista and Server 2008." This leads
> to the question of why the vulnerability cannot be used to create a worm
> on Windows Vista and Server 2008, and whether the claim is correct or not.
>
> The claim that MS08-067 cannot be used to create a worm on Vista and
> Server 2008 is based largely on two defenses used on those operating
> systems. The first is that the vulnerable end-point is not anonymously
> accessible on those operating systems. That's a pretty good defense out
> on the general Internet. However, on a corporate network it provides
> [...]

---
When posting or replying to messages on this list, please send all
emails in plain text format.  HTML formatted messages will not be accepted.

PatchManagement.org is hosted by Shavlik Technologies

If you are unable to unsubscribe via this email address, please email
owner-patchmanagement@patchmanagement.org