List:       patchmanagement
Subject:    RE: Problems with Windows Update - Managed or Unmanaged
From:       "John Rodriguez" <john.rodriguez () tagltd ! com>
Date:       2008-11-17 18:05:51

Thanks everyone for your input.

Perhaps a single recent update/patch is causing this. Both at home and
at work while there is an AD network, a couple of the machines weren't
domain members that I was working on but still experienced this problem.
The machines I worked on this weekend and today are members of a domain.
In any case at both locations, the default GPO renames the administrator
account for member machines.  Logging on as a domain admin or enterprise
admin and the self-updates fail; however logging on to the local
workstation admin account and the self-updates work. HUH?
I will be working on a stand alone machine this evening doing update by
update one at a time until I find which one is causing this, but if
anyone has any insight it would be great...

John Rodriguez
IT Consultant