List:       patchmanagement
Subject:    RE: Vista msu patches
From:       John Gray <johngray () winse ! microsoft ! com>
Date:       2008-09-17 16:55:34

Hi Mayra:

With Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, the binaries (exe, dll, etc.) are \
language neutral - that means they do not have any resources (such as strings) that \
require translation/localization to specific languages.  All of the resources \
(including English) are stored in separate files that rarely require updates.  For \
most Vista updates (MSUs), only the core binaries that don't have any language \
dependency need to be updated.  This means the same language neutral package can be \
installed on any language version of Vista.  So the file itself is Language Neutral. \
The XML files specify the applicability for the update, meaning that such a package \
"applies to" all languages.  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721887.aspx \
for more info.

If we do need to update the resources, then it requires a package with all or some \
subset of languages.

Vista SP1 is an example where we definitely had to update resources as well as code.  \
We released two versions: a "5 language" covering \
English/Japanese/German/Spanish/French and a "36 language" version covering all the \
primary localized languages for Vista.  For SP1, there are sub-packages inside the \
MSU that have the localized resources.  Therefore, the 36 language version also \
applies to "all" language editions, but carries the appropriate resources for \
whatever language it covers.  There were two reasons we also released the 5 language \
version: (1) the localization and testing for these languages was completed about a \
month earlier than the last of the 36 languages so we could release it sooner, and \
(2) the package size without all the other 31 languages was smaller which is \
important for some corporate deployment customer scenarios.

Hope this helps make sense.

jg