List:       patchmanagement
Subject:    RE: Java virtual machine issues after applying recent patches
From:       "Darryl J Roberts" <DarrylJR () ITProfessionalServices ! net>
Date:       2008-05-17 22:37:03

How are you deploying the Java VM?  Is it the Java virtual machine that is
broken or the browser plug-in?  (If the latter, you might see that Java
works OK, but Java applets do not load.)

If you are using a silent install of Sun Java Runtime Edition (RE) (JRE),
there is a bug in the Sun Java installer (see
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6640734) that it does not
register the browser plug-in(s).

You might be able to avoid the problem to begin with by including the
parameter "IEXPLORER=1 MOZILLA=1" in the command line for the JRE installer.

After the Java update has been deployed, the problem of the browser plug-in
not being registered can be fixed from the Java Console (control panel) by
selecting the Advanced tab and enabling Default Java for browsers\Microsoft
Internet Explorer (or Mozilla, as appropriate).  But visiting each managed
computer to make this configuration change might not be practical.

I have created a .reg file that I am using in a custom action after the
patch is deployed to register the plug-in for Internet Explorer.  (This .reg
file is quite complex and it took a lot of time to find all the places that
need to be changed in the registry.  And it is unique to the version of
Java--it will have to be modified the next time Sun releases a new update of
Java--probably within a month.)

For more information, see http://forum.shavlik.com/viewtopic.php?t=5889.

You also might be interested in the topic about uninstalling the previous
(vulnerable) versions of Sun JRE that Sun leaves installed.  See
http://forum.shavlik.com/viewtopic.php?t=5877.  I use this technique with a
line like

  start /w msiexec.exe /qn /x {3248F0A8-6813-11D6-A77B-00B0D0%PrevVer%0}

For every previous version of Sun JRE that might possible have been
installed, where %PrevVer% is replaced with the version number of each of
the previous versions.  That way I am sure that no older versions of JRE are
still installed.

--
Darryl J. Roberts, MCSE, MCP+I, CompTIA CTT+
IT Professional Services

---
When posting or replying to messages on this list, please send all
emails in plain text format.  HTML formatted messages will not be accepted.

PatchManagement.org is hosted by Shavlik Technologies

If you are unable to unsubscribe via this email address, please email
owner-patchmanagement@patchmanagement.org
["winmail.dat" (application/ms-tnef)]