List:       patchmanagement
Subject:    RE: Windows Installer 3.1 build numbers
From:       "Allen McGuire" <amcguire () flad ! com>
Date:       2005-05-16 20:33:44

A new "Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1" package has been published on 5/15
around 8:00pm PST to resolve the download failure issue.  The update id of
the latest package is B166A6A9-398B-4C81-B8DB-2043CF0672A1 and revision is
101.  All other Windows Installer 3.1 packages are expired.  Please decline
all the expired packages and approve the latest package.

The new version of Windows Installer 3.1 package will be installed only if
the file version of %windir%\system32\msi.dll is less than 3.1.4000.2435.
Some of the previous packages released over the last few days also had the
same version of msi.dll and hence those machines are likely to have
installed that package. (especially Windows 2000 machines).

The last few re-releases of the package did not change the binaries that
will be installed on the machine. There were only changes in the detection
logic.