List:       patchmanagement
Subject:    RE: Looking for strategy for home users, and students
From:       "Maceluch, Markian W." <markian.maceluch () ilearning ! com>
Date:       2004-11-23 22:15:24

I'd also agree on the SR, though I have seen viruses hide in them and difficult to \
remove at that point for some home end users.  In simple instances SR saved a rebuild \
or SR didn't help.

As for Web protection, I've only had better success with Webroot SpySweeper.
I've implemented the Enterprise version though the standalone has much more control \
at the end user level and used that for special instances.  Also combined with \
real-time Antivirus (AV) such as Symantec helps.

BlackIce, hum remember 2002 on Ping vulnerability.  Seems to stick in my mind and for \
end users - too complicated but not for us techies though.  ZoneAlarm might be a \
better bet but then again Feb 2004 they had a Medium vulnerability issue.  Of courses \
getting a router with (so called firewall) which is really NATing helps at the \
primary entry point, XP firewall On unless using a personal 3rd party firewall.  \
Remember, XP firewall prevents inbound to PC, but not outbound from rogue or \
phone-home software in the system.

Spam - Inboxer worked well before I implemented Postini at Enterprise level.

Back on the firewall/gateway.  If getting Access point, try 256 WPA encryption, turn \
off SID and implement MAC filtering.  If using VPN, make sure it is VPN capable.  The \
Linksys WCG200 is a good unit, apparently prevent DOS (Denial of Service) uses SPI \
firewall and supports access list.

Less software the better is key.

As everyone would agree, backup, backup, backup.  Use external OneTouch backup \
drives.  Western Digital Dual-option External Hard Drive or Maxtor  OneTouch \
USB/Firewire or similar LaCie, Iomega etc.

Markian Maceluch
Senior Systems Analyst, Product Development Tech (R&D)
Thomson NETg (formerly Capstar / iLearning)