List:       patchmanagement
Subject:    RE: Microsoft XP SP2
From:       "Jerry Bryant" <jbryant () microsoft ! com>
Date:       2004-06-25 23:00:01

Susan, you are correct. The documentation we have available is quite
extensive. To answer Andrew's question: if a program (like internet
checkers for example) tries to open a port on your system with the
purpose of listening for an incoming connection, that is what WF will
warn you about. If you accept this, the port will be opened and it will
then be closed when the requesting application quits. Even if you add
this program to your exceptions list, the port will only be opened when
the program requests it. Otherwise it remains closed. You will not get
this pop up when you use a program such as FrontPage to publish to a
remote location. In other words, we are not blocking programs trying to
access the network. Only programs that are trying to open up a port
which allows the network to connect back to you.

Hope that helps.

Jerry Bryant
Microsoft Corporation
rights.