List:       paraview
Subject:    Re: [Paraview] Problem with Xdmf/HyperSlab
From:       "Jens Kleimann" <jk () tp4 ! rub ! de>
Date:       2011-01-31 10:30:48

Greetings,

after spending a couple of days trying to figure out the proper usage of XDMF \
HyerSlabs, and with no progress whatsoever, things are starting to get frustrating. I \
have a 3-D curvilinear grid with scalar data, and I need to cut out a sub-grid (in \
order to discard the boundary). The HyperSlab should do this, but I fail with every \
try. The smallest example file which reproduces the problem is at \
[http://www.tp4.rub.de/~jk/science/hyperslab_mintest.xmf]. I have tried various \
combinations, but I get crashes on Linux, crashes on Windows (using 3.8.1. 64bit, not \
necessarily for the same cases), and whenever I manage to load it without a crash, \
the spreadsheet view indicates that the contents of the source array is just copied \
element-wise to the target array, disregarding the contents of the HyperSlab's first \
DataItem. (To verify this, increase the count values to from "2 2 2" to something \
like "2 2 20", and load into PV.) The ability to extract brick-shaped subgrids from \
larger grids of the same type is absolutely essential to my application. I would very \
much like to use Paraview for my purposes, but this problem, and the apparent lack of \
resources which could provide at least a hint towards a solution, is a no-go. \
Stripping boundary values does not seem an overly exotic task, so I guess someone \
must have done it in the past. I would be particularly great if someone from the \
developers could be convinced to have a brief look at it. Any hint would be most \
welcomed. Anyone...?

Jens.