List:       paraview
Subject:    Re: [Paraview] XML file name question
From:       Amy Henderson <amy.henderson () kitware ! com>
Date:       2004-04-06 13:13:53

Hi Robert,

The reason the file extensions are different is so that you know without
opening the file what type of data it contains. You can determine what
reader to use just by looking at the file extension. Yes, it's redundant
information, but it seemed to make more sense than having the same file
extension for files that contain completely different data set types. I
wasn't particularly involved in the XML design for the VTK file format, so
someone else will have to comment on the rest of your question.

- Amy