List:       paraview
Subject:    Re: [Paraview] Execution problems
From:       Berk Geveci <berk.geveci () kitware ! com>
Date:       2002-12-19 14:41:05

> > 1. Have you tried the binary distribution ?
>
> I have now. It launches OK but I've had it seg. fault on me a couple of
> times as I try and learn how to use it. (e.g. launch Paraview, click the
> 'calculator icon' and then click the 'cut plane' icon).

Yeah, this is a known problem. We didn't have time to fix before
the release. Normally, those buttons should not be active when there
is no dataset selected and stop you from clicking them unless you
created a source or read a file. This is already fixed and will
not happen in the next release.

> > 2. Are you using a special environment to launch ParaView ? The errors
> > you posted look very unfamiliar
>
> Nope, as far as I know my environment is quite standard.  I've tried
> launching Paraview without any of the personalisation that normally
> happens when I log in to the machine in question and I got the same error.
>
> > Any information you can give about your environment would help.
> >
> Right, I'm using the tcsh on IRIX 6.5.17f.  I'm using the SGI compilers:
>
> MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.3.1.3m
>
> for both c++ and c compilation.

I don't understand what is happening. ParaView 0.6 was built on various
SGIs and as far as I know you are the first one to run into this
problem. I recommend sticking with the binary release for now.

-Berk