List:       pamldap
Subject:    [pamldap] solaris 8, pam, nss, postfix
From:       John Madden <jmadden () ivy ! tec ! in ! us>
Date:       2001-08-30 18:52:53

I mentioned my problem in a previous thread, but I thought I'd write up
something a little more complete.  This is possibly a postfix problem, but my
post didn't get a response on postfix-users, so perhaps not.

Basically, I've installed pam_ldap and nss_ldap from PADL on Solaris 8 with
Postfix.  Most of the setup works, with exception of things like
/usr/ucb/whoami puking with 'no login associated with uid nnnn,' and most
importantly, postfix not delivering mail to system mailboxes.

What's odd is that postfix does find the user in LDAP, then goes about its
business of appending the mail to the mailbox, but at the last step decides
that the user doesn't exist and bounces the message.  However, with nothing
more than an entry in /etc/passwd, everything fixes itself.  So, I'm lead to
believe that there's a problem with NSS or PAM, but I can't tell which,
and/or how to fix it.

Things that *are* working: ssh, pop3, imap, ps, w, etc.  Not working: whoami,
local mail delivery, mailx.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
 John