List:       pamldap
Subject:    [pamldap] Re: [nssldap] nasty problems while using ~{username} with tcsh and bash
From:       Ian Gregory <I.H.Gregory () herts ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-09-29 15:56:28

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 06:50:47PM -0400, Brian Nelson wrote:

> Maybe others have seen this before...
>
> Using solaris 8, iplanet 5 and iplanet libs, and current pam and nss (as of a
> few days ago anyways). Solaris's version of bash and tcsh
>
> This problem is very intermittent.
>
> When using the ~username function, bash will occasionally reply
> "[1]+  Stopped                 ls ~bnelson/"
>
> running that command repeaditly, quickly seems to make it happen pretty
> consistantly. It only _appears_ to happen with ls, but that may be a different
> Any clue? is some search call not returning fast enough from the nss libs? It
> might go to call something else, and have it jam or something...

This is only a hunch, probably unrelated, but your observation
about the problem occuring if you run the command several times
rapidly in succession reminds me of a problem I had with
"exec login" to an ldap account on Solaris 8.

I did "exec login" to ldap-testuser account and exited straight out.
I then tried again and it would sometimes just kill my shell. However,
if I waited a while (10 seconds or so) I could get in fine. This ONLY
happened with an LDAP account.

The clue was a syslog error message:
utmp_update[524]: Wrong number of arguments or invalid user

I tried killing utmpd and found that this resulted in me NEVER
being able to exec login.

I then realised that after logging out of the LDAP account something
was corrupt and I had to wait for utmpd to do one of its regular
updates which would fix the problem, after which I could log in fine.

I didn't persue it any further at the time but it is something to be
aware of. Killing utmpd and running "utmpd -debug" was useful.

--
Ian Gregory
Systems and Applications Manager