List:       pam-list
Subject:    ANNOUNCE: PAM Module for Per-User Authentication
From:       "Mark D. Roth" <roth () feep ! net>
Date:       2002-09-24 3:01:56

I've been meaning to send this announcement out for a while...

One of the limitations of PAM is that it decides what auth method to
use based on the service name.  This can be a problem when you need to
determine which auth method to use based on which user is being
authenticated.  For example, you might have a particular pseudouser
account that requires different authentication than all of the real
user accounts, all using the same su binary.

I've developed a PAM module called pam_per_user that solves this
problem.  It's available from my PAM Resources page:

   http://www-dev.cites.uiuc.edu/PAM/

For more information on how pam_per_user works, please see the
enclosed man page.

Please let me know if you have any questions or problems.

--
Mark D. Roth <roth@feep.net>
http://www.feep.net/~roth/