List:       pam-list
Subject:    pam_openldap.so.1 and openssh
From:       Kathleen Duling <kathleen.duling () dynegy ! com>
Date:       2002-01-31 17:51:44

I hope someone can help me out with this problem.  I've compiled and
installed openldap with the padl pam & nss and openssl support on Solaris 8.
Everything appears to be working with pam ldap except openssh.  Openssh was
compiled with pam, and ssl support.  I'm getting the following error in my
pam debug log:

pam_openldap.so.1 failed: Bad file number

Now, ssh is the only thing that is having this problem using this library.
ls, su, chown, login, etc all use this library with no problems and
recognize my ldap users.  I've run ldd -crvl against this library and all
the dependencies are there and happy.  I've run sshd with the -ddd option
and the debug gives me this error:

PAM rejected by account configuration[1]: Dlopen failure

This is my account section of /etc/pam.conf:

#
# Account management
#
login   account sufficient /usr/lib/security/pam_openldap.so.1
login   account required /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1

dtlogin account required /usr/lib/security/pam_openldap.so.1
dtlogin account required /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1

other   account required /usr/lib/security/pam_openldap.so.1 debug
other   account required /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1 try_first_pass

sshd   account required /usr/lib/security/pam_openldap.so.1 debug
sshd   account required /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so.1 try_first_pass

I've even run truss against both the ssh and sshd but I don't get any more
information.  Anyone have any other ideas, or know what is wrong?

Thanks,

Kathleen