List:       pam-list
Subject:    Help! Can't log on except as root
From:       Peter Schattner <schattner () alum ! mit ! edu>
Date:       2002-01-16 1:51:47

Hello

The following problems are on a Dell Inspiron 3500 running Redhat 7.2.

A week ago, for no apparent reason that I can fathom,  I could no longer
log in as either
root or as a regular user.  I logged in using "single user mode" and
discovered that pam_nologon.so had file size = 0.  So I reloaded pam
and pam-dev ( -0.75-14) from the Redhat CD ROM and the problem appeared
fixed.

A few days later I attempted to change my (non root) password which
appeared to succeed.  However, now I get the message "login incorrect"
even with the new password.  I created a new user account (as root
using linuxconfig) which appeared to work - however when attempting to
log on as the new user I again receive the message "login incorrect".

I next downloaded and installed the (I think) most recent, stable
versions of pam and pam-devel:  pam-devel-0.75-20.i386.rpm and
pam-0.75-20.i386.rpm.  However after upgrading,  I could once
again no longer log on as anyone including root (except in single user
mode).
 Consequently I "upgraded" back to the older (0.75-14) pam and pam-devel
packages and
am back to where I can log on, but only as root.

When I try to log on as "schattner", /var/log/messages states that:
Jan 12 11:18:31 pschattner login(pam_unix)[1625]: authentication
failure; logname=LOGIN uid=0 euid=0 tty=tty2 ruser= rhost=
user=schattner
Jan 12 11:18:33 pschattner login[1625]: FAILED LOGIN 1 FROM (null) FOR
schattner, Authentication failure
Jan 12 11:18:43 pschattner login(pam_unix)[1625]: session opened for
user root by LOGIN(uid=0)

This surprises me since schattner's uid=502 not 0.

Another possibly relevant observation is that when I verify pam I get:
[root@pschattner root]# rpm -V pam
S.5....T c /etc/pam.d/system-auth
(same message whether I have -14 or -20 installed)

I don't know whether this is all "newbie" error on my part or some
problem in PAM.  In either case I would be very grateful to anyone who
may be able to help me resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance

Peter Schattner