List:       packet-writing
Subject:    packet writing bugs + experience
From:       Volker Kuhlmann <hidden () paradise ! net ! nz>
Date:       2003-08-05 2:53:25

Packet-writing sounded exciting, so I thought I'd try it out. This is
how I built it:

  http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/patches/packet/2.4/packet-2.4.20-2.patch.bz2

  applied to the SuSE Linux 8.2 kernel (updated June 03,
  kernel-source-2.4.20.SuSE-86.i586.rpm), manually corrected in 2
  places, with the fixes from

  http://lists.suse.com/archive/packet-writing/2003-Feb/0015.html
  http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/patches/packet/SuSE/packet-2.4.20-pre11-suse.patch

  and

  http://lists.suse.com/archive/packet-writing/2003-May/0027.html

  applied. (The 2 fixes are required to make it compile.)

  To compile, install the kernel source, and run

  cd /usr/src/linux
  patch -p1 -b < <thispatch>
  make cloneconfig
    [packet support = "m", write cache = "n"]
  make dep
  make bzImage
  make modules

Install and reboot. cdrwtool media inquiry works fine.

Options to cdrwtool don't always work - if their order matters, this
needs to be documented!!!

Sony CRX225E1 burner, Verbatim 4-12x 650MB media.

  cdrwtool -d /dev/sr0 -t 24 -v 0x0150 -u 333000

The burner spins up 3 ties and slows down again, then the caps + scroll
lock LEDs start flashing on the keyboard. No syslog entry. This kernel
panic is repeatable. It's also possible I used 24x media, and this
particular disk turned later out to be defective (not saying that that
has anything to do with packet writing). The 333000 blocks for the udf
filesystem may be too high. All of this should cause I/O errors, not
kernel panics.

With 12x media:

  cdrwtool -d /dev/sr0 -q
  mount /dev/sr0 /media/cdr

works, but only gives 535MB of a 650MB disk - is that all???

  pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd0 /dev/sr0
  mount -o rw,noatime,iocharset=iso8859-1 /dev/pktcdvd0 /media/cdr

works too. Copying 250MB in 1800 files:

  cp -a somedir /media/cdr

takes 45 minutes (and thrashes the hell out of the burner)!!!!!
An md5sum check showed an I/O error on one of the files.

The constant lockups are a Linux kernel problem so I won't mention them
further.

Copying the whole CD to hard disk, replacing/adding a few files,
remastering, and doing this with a whole 700MB can be done in 15
minutes, without kernel crashes and without file system corruption. I
didn't take the time to extend this to DVD-RW.

Unless I am missing something, packet writing under Linux has no
practical use in its current state. :((

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.