List:       packet-writing
Subject:    Re: packet-writing and dvd+rw patch
From:       Roy Bamford <zenadsl6108 () zen ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-08-01 22:20:03

On 2003.08.01 22:35, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> Thanks Roy for the hints - at 02:00 I had called it a day.
>
> I prefer to stay with the SuSE 8.2 kernel to deviate as little as
> possible, but it might be worth making the gentoo patch fit.
>
> > to a DVD-RW.  Perhaps is this dvd packet writing patch for DVD-RW?
>
> I'd be interested in more experiences with both the packet writing and
> the dvd+rw patch (those people should talk to each other... :) ).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Volker
>
> --
> Volker Kuhlmann			is possibly list0570 with the
> domain in header
> http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list
> postings to me.
>
> --

Volker,

There is a problem writing large files (aprox = to phyisical mem) onto
DVD+RW or with pktcdvd in the 2.4 series kernel. The hdd can move data
to memory much faster than it can be written to the CD/DVD. As a
result, physical memory gets full of dirty disc buffers waiting to be
written. Then, any task that tries to allocate memory just gets put to
sleep - including X.
The system acts like its just died. Dirty buffers cannot be written to
swap (think about it).  I have heard that this is being addressed in
the 2.6 kernel but I haven't tried it yet.

Don't be too keen to stick with a 2.4 kernel

Regards,

Roy Bamford