List:       owncloud
Subject:    Re: [owncloud-user] ownCloud Client Version 2.2.2 Released
From:       Klaas Freitag <freitag () owncloud ! com>
Date:       2016-06-27 12:39:21

On 27.06.2016 11:24, Carsten Schiefner wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On 27.06.2016 09:56, Chris wrote:
>> this was not meant for the auto-update itself but for pushing (aka noticing)
>> the users that there is a delay for the release via the auto-updater. :-)
>
> I see.
>
>> The question like the one here is coming up after each major release since
>> years without any sign of improvement of the communication to the users.

I am not sure what the point is here. Are you complaining that we should
communicate better why we do not enable the auto updater earlier? Or do
you think we should enable it on release date right away? What is the
lack of communication that you see?

Again, the policy is like this:
We use to enable the auto updater of the client around one week after
the community release. The reason to not do it immediately is that IF
there is a screw up in the new release, we have another chance to fix it.

That did not happen for the 2.2.0 and 2.2.1 case because we found the
quality of both releases not up to the mark, and rather focused on
fixing the probs and releasing a proper version 2.2.2.

We did not say that too loud, that is true.

> I am afraid but I think I am not really in a position to help chenging
> this. ;-)
That is actually not true. Everybody is in that position if she/he wants
to help, shows as reliable, sustainable and friendly.

There is no reason why releasing needs to be done within the company. If
there are people who want to help with that, we can talk. The only thing
is that releasing is really a very important thing, thus it must be a
very good team doing that, for the good of the project.

regards,

Klaas