List:       owncloud
Subject:    [owncloud-user] Upgrade 8.2.2 > 9.0.0 failed
From:       Christian Reiner <foss () christian-reiner ! info>
Date:       2016-03-08 19:03:26

Hi all,
just a warning from my side, not more, not less.
I just tried upgrading an owncloud instance from 8.2.2 to 9.0.0 (officially
published today) and it failed gloriously:

After an apparently smooth upgrade process itself (took quite some time, but
seemed to run just fine including the integrity check) the instance was
unusable (http error 500).
internally trying to load "files/index.php" failed. Indeed the bundled files
app does not contain such file...
After a lot of hassle I managed to get at least the configuration and
administration screens. All appeared fine in there including the checks again.
The "apps" selector could be opened, nut not a single app could be activated,
not even bundled ones. Always the same reason: "the app would make the system
unstable".

I finally gave up and rolled back, all working fine with version 8.2.2 again.

Sure, an early bird upgrade always is a risk and that is perfectly fine.
But I would expect such fundamental issues to be identified in test runs for
the upgrade process before an official release?

Anyways, looking forward to the new version. Certainly will try again after a
few weeks have passed and things have been fixed.

Christian Reiner (arkascha)