List:       owncloud
Subject:    [owncloud-user] Caught the Android client uploading over 4G LTE...
From:       Dan Lyke <danlyke () flutterby ! com>
Date:       2014-05-30 18:37:12

OwnCloud Android client 1.5.5. "Upload pictures via WiFi only" has
been checked since I first installed the app (along with "Enable
instant uploads").

We were on vacation, outside of cell range most of the weekend (May
24-25),  on the 25th decided to head back into civilization and stay
at a hotel, checked out on May 26.

Hotel had usual flakey-hotel WiFi with a login screen.

Somewhere in the May 25-26 range (the Android "Data usage" tool isn't
letting me nail it down closer than that), OwnCloud decided to upload
260 megabytes over the 4G LTE connection.

I suspect that maybe some combination of flakey WiFi got it into a
race condition where it thought it had a WiFi connection?

No big deal, the only reason I noticed was that I had a large data
usage last month and was trying to shut off things which were
unnecessarily using 4G data so seeing a 260MB jump in usage when we
were out of cell phone range at all for most of the weekend was a
serious WTF? moment, but figured I should mention it.

Dan