List:       owncloud
Subject:    Re: [owncloud-user] Suggestion
From:       Michael <mike () draftx ! net>
Date:       2014-03-09 18:20:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> If you (with your suggested method above) want to access encrypted files
in the web interface/mobile device/PC/etc., how will you store the things
what you need to decrypt (eg. password(s), keys, etc.). What will be
happen, if you lose them?

The same exact thing as always, you lose your data. The same is the case
now.

> How many resource will be need on the frontend device what will do the
decryption?

Decrypting small strings and directory structures? Somewhere around minimal
to nothing. Anyways, the usecase is there(as shown below), admins can
choose whether or not they need to use it.

From earlier(broken thread sorry):

> It would make restore from file backups much more difficult, as admins
wouldn't be able to determine the file names...
I don't think the name of the files contain critical data, or you have a
problem with your naming policies.

Admins don't need to know the filenames, just that they need to restore the
files as they are, regardless of name. The data would still have to be
stored just as traditional data is, inside of files with names.

Know the format of the underlying data can help with hacking. Knowning
something is a text file, you now know that generally there are many zeros
in front of each character. Every odd byte will be zeros, you know half the
file already, now bruteforce away. Not hard

Or in a corporate setting, what if your company is looking at buying
another company? You will name your files "company to aquire aquisition
blah blah blah". There are a million examples of data that shouldn't be
public sitting in a file name - this is how we make file names, we label
what we are doing.

TLDR: Encryption of file names is important, even if it is painful. Not
encrypting the file names makes the encryption app much less useful.

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 4:46 AM, Szl=E1dovics P=E9ter <peti@szladovics.hu> w=
rote: