List:       owncloud
Subject:    Re: [Owncloud] License
From:       Frank Karlitschek <frank () owncloud ! org>
Date:       2013-12-20 13:46:47

On 19.12.2013, at 19:19, Tim Atkins <ttim.atkinss@gmail.com> wrote:

> This answer confuses me more ;-)

Sorry for the confusion. Licenses are sometimes tricky.

> And what about a PHP software (out of the box) that use the owncloud's REST APIs ?
>
> You tell about mobile apps, desktop apps interacting with ownCloud via REST APIs ... you can \
> have a webpage/software in other server, interacting via REST API's with a ownCloud \
> installation in other server.
> Does that PHP source code (and the HTML views generated for User Experience) need to have the \
> AGPL license ?
> I'm not trying to not credit ownCloud (it has to!), but avoiding to need to give AGPL license \
> to our main software, that would use ownCloud cloud features for files, but nothing else \
> more.

Sorry I wasn't clear here. The licenses don't care about development languages or other \
technologies. The question is if it runs in the same process or not. If it runs in the same \
process then you extend/change ownCloud in the FSF definition. In this case you have to choose \
a compatible license. If your software is running in a different process and you only \
communicate with ownCloud via the REST/WebDAV APIs then your software is clearly independent \
from ownCloud. So you can choose any license you want.

So you can choose any license you want in your scenario where you build an independent \
application using PHP that communicates with ownCloud via the REST/WebDAV.

Frank