List:       owncloud
Subject:    Re: [Owncloud] modularization
From:       Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-02-20 20:05:48

On 20.02.2012, at 20:14, Thomas Wanderer <newsabos@nurfuerspam.de> wrote:

> Am 12.02.2012 20:56, schrieb Frank Karlitschek:
>> Hi everybody,
>> =

>> it=B4s importants that we structure ownCloud properly so that the code i=
s still maintainable in a few years and that new developers understand what=
 we do and can contribute.
>> =

>> The app concept is very important to make it easy for developers to exte=
nd ownCloud without the need to understand every part of ownCloud. My goal =
is that every ownCloud user can install, update and delete every app indepe=
ndently from the used ownCloud core. Every app developer should be able to =
release a new app at every point in time and also update it independently f=
rom the core. The apps should run on different core versions if possible.
>> =

>> It=B4s of course still a long way till we reach that goal but I think we=
 should start now.
>> =

>> =

> =

> Hello everyone! This is my first post here after following this project f=
or a while and having (had) similar plans for a web-based central sync serv=
ice for personal use.
> =

> @modularization: I find this quite important! Being a Synology Disk Stati=
on user for some time I noticed that they want to break their web-frontendd=
own into a core and modular applications too...wow...of course this are not=
 the big news but I thought it might be helpful as another source of input =
to see what other (commercial) projects plan. If OC makes this step I think=
 it's quite important to define what is in core and what is an "app".
> =

> Thomas

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your input. Apps are the way we structure ownCloud. If a project=
 is growing it=B4s important to divide a software in sub modules, otherwise=
 it will get messy over time, especially with PHP ;-) Our modules are calle=
d apps. If you look at the sourcecode you see that basically everything in =
ownCloud is an app which is good because it means that we have a structure.=
 ;-)

Please note that the modularization has nothing to do with what we actually=
 ship. Of course we will ship several apps as default because otherwise own=
Cloud wouldn=B4t be that useful. ;-)

This is an interesting point. Before the next release we need to decide whi=
ch app is ready for inclusion in the release and what app need some more po=
lishing. This is something we have to discuss here on the list a few weeks =
before the next release.

Cheers
Frank

Frank Karlitschek