List:       owncloud
Subject:    Re: [Owncloud] Theming and Formfactors
From:       Tom Needham <tom () owncloud ! com>
Date:       2012-02-01 15:34:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> The idea is to support theming in ownCloud to make this kind of =
changes easiert.

This would be very handy :)

> Formfactors:
> All parts of the core and every app has a template, a js and a css =
folder. We could extend the templating and the js/css loader that it =
first looks for a foo-mobile.php template if the app wants to load the =
foo.php template and the current formfactor is "mobile". If it finds the =
file it loads it. If not if falls back to the default foo.php. The same =
logic for the js and css files.
> By doing this we don=B4t have to implement the complete interface =
right now for all formfactors. We can do this over time. And if one App =
developer want=B4s to provide a special tablet optimized css he just add =
an additional css with this special name and it=B4s automatically used.

I was thinking along similar lines too. Are we still looking to use =
jQuery mobile for the mobile framework?

> Theming:
> I propose a similar system for the theming. We add a "theme" config =
option to the config.php so that the theme can be configured during =
deployment and controlled from the outside without the need to =
understand our database structure.
> We add "themes" directory into /core where every theme has a directory =
named after the theme name.
> The template and css loader looks into the selected theme directory =
first for templates and css files and loads them if a file is present. =
If not it just falls back to the default files in the individual app =
directories. This has the benefit that the person who creates the themes =
can override what ever has to be changed but don=B4t have to provide a =
complete new frontend.
> The directory structure inside the themes folder is the same as the =
rest of owncloud. This means that a theme developer can just put a =
different "apps/contacts/css/styles.css" in the theme directory to =
change the style of the contacts app.

Sounds good. Where should we store / develop themes? Something similar =
to app.owncloud.com would be cool, but maybe just a git repo would do =
for now.

Also should we have a similar interface to 'Apps' in the admin where =
users can select the theme and/or upload new ones?

Tom

Tom Needham
tom@owncloud.com