List:       owncloud
Subject:    [Owncloud]  Hi list + some ideas
From:       François_K. <daitheflu () free ! fr>
Date:       2010-11-03 9:50:14

Dear ownCloud team,

Please let me introduce myself. My name is François, I'm a nearly-27 years old guy \
living in Strasbourg, France. I'm a Linux user since a couple of years and I work as \
a sysadmin. Well, I have to say that I'm very excited about ownCloud. I was looking \
for such a thing for a long time, and I even thought about developping a similar \
piece of software by myself. So, as I'm really interested in this project, and as I \
have a little spare time (I guess), I'd like to contribute. I studied developpement, \
and more specifically web-oriented languages such as HTML, CSS, PHP and Javascript. \
I've some experience in web applications development so... I'm might help a bit :)

For now, let me start with some ideas. I've installed and started to test ownCloud \
yesterday. I've also read the wiki pages. I might have missed some pages, so please \
excuse me if I point things that are already planned. Please also note that I haven't \
studied ownCloud source code for now. Finally, my goal with this email isn't to \
criticize but rather to be positive. So please don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I \
don't mean to be rude, it's just my bad english :)

Well, first point that surprised me after installation is that you get an empty \
"files" space. I thought ownCloud would provide some folders, just like the one you \
have when you create a new user account on a Linux system (think about /etc/skel). I \
expected to have a "Documents" folder, a "Music" folder, an "Images" folder, etc. I \
think that it could also ease the development of plugins (the "Music" plugin knows \
where to find the music files). Is this something planned/studied ? A nice feature in \
Mac OS X (I'm managing Mac OS X computers at work) is that every user has a "Public" \
folder in its home. This is a special folder : everything stored in it is public. So \
this is where you put things to make them available for anyone. Also, the "Public" \
folder contains a "Dropbox" folder where anyone has a write-only access. This is very \
useful when you need to share a file with only one person. You just have to drop the \
file in his "Dropbox" folder. Of course, the owner of the Dropbox folder has read and \
write access. I don't know how sharing files is planned, but I think this kind of \
mechanism is very interesting. If I want to share a file with everyone, I put it in \
my "Public" folder. If I want to share a file with John, I drop it in John's "Public \
> Dropbox" folder. To my opinion, it's much more simple than setting permissions on \
> each file.

Allright, regarding users management, I think it would be a good idea to have an \
"email" field for each user. This could be useful when the admin needs to contact his \
users. Or plugins might need it too (cron jobs or whatever). Also, (but I believe \
that it's planned), ownCloud should give the hability to set a quota for each user \
(and check the quota whenever it's necessary).

I'll finish with this third idea (I have tons). I think ownCloud needs some \
polishing. I've always been very interested in ergonomics, GUI, and users experience. \
And I believe that some things can be done to improve ownCloud usability. I'll try to \
make some mockups in the next few days if it's ok for you. Just let me know. Oh, \
regarding this, is there some policy regarding dev technologies ? I mean, for \
example, HTML5 provides a nice new way to handle uploads. Are you already supporting \
these or do you wait until it's fully supported by all web browsers ?

Oh, also, I started to make a simple pictures gallery PHP script a few days ago. If \
you think it can be useful, I'll gladly share it. A bit of work would obviously be \
needed to adapt it to ownCloud.

Waiting for your comments,
Best regards :)

--