List:       owfs-developers
Subject:    Re: [Owfs-developers] Plug Computer Recommendation?
From:       p4trykx <p4trykx () o2 ! pl>
Date:       2011-11-03 11:54:10

Dnia 03-11-2011 o 04:47:17 Peter Hollenbeck <pwhbeck@gmail.com> napisaƂ(a):

> Let me know if this is too far off track.
> At a remote, unattended site I use gphoto2 to capture images from two
> as everything is sent to the web site. So it seems a plug or similar
> computer with no HD would do the job. On this list I have seen references
> to Sheeva, BeagleBoard, and maybe others. I would appreciate any
> comments.
I sugested a wireless router before so I will elaborate on that.

I don't know about those but at my home I use a router (Asus  WL-500W) for
owfs temp monitoring and a webcam.
It has 32MB RAM and 2 usb ports. The only downside is that flash memory
has only 8 MB but I boot the system from a pendrive.
It has enough "power" to provide internet, run owfs (some charts) and run
motion(webcam monitoring)

Now there are cheaper routers available. TP-link sells good and cheap
routers. There is TL-WR1043ND.
It's based on Atheros board. Generally Atheros based hardware has better
open source support. Broadcom on the other hand does not provide drivers
or any documentation so the only way to develop drivers for wireless card
is reverse engineering. I'm not sure about wifi standards in USA you have
5GHz? Maybe there is a US version of this TP-link.

There is also more powerful WNDR3700v2 it has 64MB RAM and 16 flash.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700
I think it has both wifi standards.
In Poland tp-link costs about $35 and Netget is about $100.

I don't know how do you get internet there but those routers can also
handle USB UMTS modems.

The system to run it is OpenWrt.

Probably those routers are powered by 12V so You can connect it directly
to your batteries. Mine needs about 8 watts + 2-3 W for the hub. If your
water power plant can handle it You can run the router all the time.
You will also need a powered USB hub. Those are probably 5V powered so You
will need a 12V->5V converter but those are cheap.

--
p4trykx