List:       owfs-developers
Subject:    Re: [Owfs-developers] a couple things
From:       Paul Alfille <palfille () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2005-05-02 1:14:31

On Sunday 01 May 2005 09:02 pm, jerry scharf wrote:
> --On 05/01/2005 04:12:27 PM -0400 Paul Alfille wrote:
> > On Sunday 01 May 2005 01:36 pm, jerry scharf wrote:
> >> Well,
> >>
> >> I got my link serial interfaces, and started playing with things.
> >>
> >> Things came up in a couple areas:
> >>
> >> First, the programs seem to ignore --foreground and go to the background
> >> no
> >
> > Hmm.. works  for me. /opt/owfs/bin/owfs --foreground -u /mnt/1wire stays
> > in  foreground.
>
> I'm running fedora fc3, no option on configure or build.
>
> joke: How does a wordperfect (or whatever) customer support person change a
> lightbulb? "We have an exact copy of your lightbulb, and ours is working
> perfectly."

Perhaps it's a quantum lightbulb?

--foreground really goes into background? Gives up the console?
I just tested several combinations, 1. owfs(fg) 2. owserver(fg)/owfs(fg) 3
owserver(fg)/owfs(bg) 4 owserver(bg)/owfs(fg) 5 owserver(bg)/owfs(bg)
all work.

> >> matter what. Second, there is no debugging output for owfs or owserver.
> >> This seems quite wrong to me. I would like to do the classic multiple
> >> levels of d or v switches to be able to run the program with different
> >> levels of output and see what it's doing. For example, I had the
> >> protection set wrong on the tty, and the program silently exited. I have
> >> another one where I'm trying to get it onto an arm system with a cross
> >> compiled environment. Again the program exits silently, and I have no
> >> idea what's wrong. I may end up making one of the SBCs into a devel
> >> system and scrap the cross compiler (makes configure a mess...), but I
> >> should be able to debug the program to a limited degree with just
> >> itself. I am happy to discuss this more, but I am not up to adding this.
> >
> > I just checked. There should be syslog messages about opening the com
> > port.
> >
> > You're right about the debug messages, though with a working foreground,
> > it's  easy to trace problems (I use printfs myself). Actually, there are
> > no end of  printfs scatered around that can be uncommented. I know it's
> > not elegant,  what kind of debugging output would you like, specifically?
>
> Let's say you have 3 levels of debugging. One -v sets it to level 1, 2 to
> level 2 and 3 or more to level 3. Here are kind of what I was thinking of
> for the levels. Since there is no general stdin/stdout/stderr usage, you
> can just use stdout for all the messages.
>
> In level one, major section entry and exit is printed:
> Initializing data structures
> opening each bus
> setting up fuse
> got a read/write
> printout of all exception events
>
> Level two adds
> steps for opening each bus
> initial bus scan
> details of each read/write request
> caching hits
> copious detail on each exception
>
> level 3 adds the data sent to and from the serial bus or tcp port, cache
> checking details, etc.

I like it.
I guess it's time to add proper error/debug functions with levels and output
to stdio/syslog depending on calling mode.