List:       owfs-developers
Subject:    Re: [Owfs-developers] start of NFS work -- ownfsd
From:       Geo Carncross <geocar-owfs () internetconnection ! net>
Date:       2005-04-19 16:07:46

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 11:09 -0400, Paul Alfille wrote:
> The bad news: NFS seems to depend on a filehandle. It is an opaque 64 byte
> structure. We'll have to generate it for every path and verify it with every
> access, since it goes to and from the client.

It doesn't just seem to. The NFS "vnode" or "filehandle" is how NFS
works.

> Proposals for the filehandle:
>
> 1. Make a hash of the path and store in temporarily.

This is a bad idea. This is why the unfsd is bad- if the server crashes
and then comes back, all the clients are hosed.

> 2. Use the device serial number and filetype and extension

<1093622719.2479.96.camel@midget.intranet>

This was part of a thread where I brought up doing this for other
reasons-- regarding the cache code -- and to look up entries faster.

Using a pair of functions - even if they're generated by a perl script-
to construct "vnodes" or 20-bit cacheids or whatnot- from file NAMES,
and back again, makes this problem go away.

It also simplifies caching as we know immediately where in the cache to
look.

--
Internet Connection High Quality Web Hosting
http://www.internetconnection.net/