List:       owasp-webscarab
Subject:    Re: [Owasp-webscarab] No data received from the server
From:       Rogan Dawes <lists () dawes ! za ! net>
Date:       2008-04-11 10:42:05

Bru, Pierre wrote:
>> Interesting. I kind of suspect that you might have a transparent proxy
>> upstream from you which is getting confused, since this is the first
>> time this issue has been raised.
>
> I have Avast! Antivirus running on the PC. As I suspected it to push
> mess into the pipe, I turned off the network scan and the web access
> scan before performing the tests (the scanning processes stopped and
> streams to port 80 went directly to the net instead of thru the scanning
> processes).

So did turning off the AV make any difference?

I was actually thinking more along the lines of a transparent caching
proxy operated by your ISP, than something on your local computer.

>> Ho hum! I guess I need to start being a better net-citizen in terms of
>> keeping my requests well-formed in the face of other proxies. Looks
>> like I need to go read the RFC's again.
>
>>From the top of my head, this header is not in http 1.1 rfc and hard to
> find :)
> As a work around, is there a way to automate the edit I did manually ?

Yes, certainly. That is what the BeanShell/scripting interface is for.

See http://www.owasp.org/index.php/Scripting_in_WebScarab

Let me know if you need some help. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking
you'd want to do something like:

request.deleteHeader("Proxy-Connection");
request.setHeader("Connection", "keep-alive");

within the standard boilerplate explained at the above link.

> TIA,
> Pierre

Have fun.

Rogan