List:       owasp-testing
Subject:    Re: [Owasp-testing] Fwd: What is a vuln?
From:       Eoin <eoinkeary () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-11-09 10:01:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi Daniel,
regarding the spanish version of the Testing guide, Once this Autumn of Code
project is complete (31/12/2006) get in touch with myself and we can work on
the spanish version and find a home for it on the WIKI.
thanks,
Eoin

On 09/11/06, Daniel P.F (a.k.a MeTal) <metalslug@hacktimes.com> wrote:

> ok guys, my 2 euro cents to the "brain storming" ;)
>
> Vulnerability: a security exposure in the system design, implementation,
> code, or the lack of a mechanism which arises as the unexpected result
> of some action or occurrence which gives rise to a potential security
> breach.
>
> but, frankly, I don't think an accurate definition could be possible in
> just two lines. Maybe an extended definition with more precision should
> be required, because of the variety of the situations and perspectives.
>
> btw, who can tell me how can I contribute with the spanish translation
> of the new guide and where to start?
> Please raise your hand, thank you.
>
> Greets from Spain.
>

> Ralph M. Los wrote:
>

> >  How about this:
> >
> >  A Vulnerability is defined as A) an unexpected behavior of either
> >  application or environment that represents a danger or B) an
> >  expected behavior but that has not been perceived as risk. This
> >  behavior normally represent a danger of CIA triad (Confidentiality,
> >  Integrity, Availability) being compromised and/or potential
> >  exploitation.
> >

> >  My 2 cents + VAT
> >
> >  MgpF
> >
> >  -- Matteo G.P. Flora | mf@matteoflora.com | www.MatteoFlora.com Pres.

> >  If I may add my $0.02 in... I think a vulnerability definition must
> >  change slightly:
> >
> >  "... a condition in which an unexpected result of some action upon
> >  the subject gives rise to a potential for exploitation"
> >
> >  Ralph M. Los Information Security Consultant

Eoin Keary OWASP - Ireland
http://www.owasp.org/local/ireland.html
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Testing_Project
http://www.owasp.org/index.php/OWASP_Code_Review_Project