List:       owasp-dotnet
Subject:    [Owasp-dotnet] My Media Outreach for OWASP .NET
From:       "Mark Roxberry" <mark.roxberry () owasp ! org>
Date:       2008-05-30 18:29:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hey folks,

I've been reaching out to various publications about OWASP .NET and our
projects.  So far I'm looking to work with ISSA Journal, MSDN Magazine, Code
magazine - a couple of others.  I have had a couple of responses interested
in the kinds of topics that we could write about (I have responses now from
ISSA and MSDN for suggested articles).  Here's a list that I suggested now:

   1. OWASP as a resource for Software Developers.  Talk about top 10,
   Testing and code review guides, technology projects.  We have a couple of
   tools that are pretty useful, Site Generator for creating vulnerable test
   sites for education, Report Generator for penetration testing documentation,
   Anti-Samy - server side XSS scrubbing with a very flexible, policy based
   introspection engine, ESAPI (Enterprise Security API) - a complete security
   API for authentication, authorization, validation, encryption.

   2. A couple of areas that I'm focusing on in the Microsoft area for OWASP
   .NET include operational guidance and incident response specific to MS
   technology.  My clients tend to be small to mid sized businesses that are
   not security savvy.  The resources for operations and incident response are
   scattered and hard to get a handle on.  I could write an article related to
   small to mid size business digital forensics and what should be done prior
   to an incident to be able to respond and conduct an investigation following
   an attack.

   3. Open Source Security for Web Software - Best practices for assurance
   and vulnerability research for using popular web software (e.g.  Wordpress,
   Community Server, Sharepoint).  We've started projects to research public,
   community web software packages.  When the research is good to go, I can
   provide articles for our research methodology, best practices for using the
   platforms and vulnerability information (discovery and remediation).

   4. Security Driven Development - Integrating continuous vulnerability
   testing into software development.  I'm currently researching techniques for
   putting vulnerability testing into daily software build cycles.  I am coding
   a few components, for fuzzing, sql injection, script injection to run
   against code when it is compiled.  This will be a line of defense that
   developers can integrate and add manual tests and basically be very visible
   as part of software development.

I'd be interested if anyone had any other topics that I can add to this.
And I'd appreciate any thoughts about my suggestions.

FYI, article submission guidelines have sizes varying, e.g. ISSA suggests
1500-3000, MSDN 3000-8000.  Also, there is usually some kind of property
agreement (e.g. ISSA has 18 months of rights before rights revert to
author).  I'm tracking these guidelines if anyone is interested, send me an
e-mail.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Roxberry, CISSP, CEH