List:       owasp-dotnet
Subject:    [Owasp-dotnet] [Fwd: Hackers take aim at web-based apps]
From:       Dinis Cruz <dinis () ddplus ! net>
Date:       2005-10-05 20:22:08

<irony rant>
See Bellow an amazing discovery by the VnuNet team :)

The good news is that if the application compromised is an Asp.Net
website, then the damage will be very limited since most (about 1%) run
in a solid Partial Trust Asp.Net sandbox, and when compromised there is
not a lot a malicious attacker can do.

What I am a little bit worried about is the few Asp.Net websites out
there (the other 99%) that are running with Full Trust (or are co-hosted
in servers also hosting Full Trust websites) since they (and their
websites) are toasted once one of those applications gets compromised.

But since I am saying this for almost two years now, I am confident that
all Asp.Net websites who handle confidential data (namely user's
personal and financial information) have migrated from Full Trust
Asp.Net to Partial Trust Asp.Net and the only ones that will be affected
(once exploitation of this attack vector (insecure co-hosting
environments) begins) will be the mom-and-pop websites (of which recent
backups exist and can be easily restored)

</irony rant>

:)

Dinis Cruz
Owasp .Net Project Leader (in Connecticut, NY, USA)