List:       owasp-dotnet
Subject:    Re: RES: RES: [Owasp-dotnet] How to deny access to IIS Admin Objects?
From:       Dinis Cruz <dinis () ddplus ! net>
Date:       2005-08-04 8:21:17

[note: I BCCed this email to some of my current contacts at Microsoft
since I don't think that they have realized the scale of this problem
(when I had a meeting at Redmond last month I had to re-explain this to
them, which was quite surprising since I had sent them information about
this issue more than 18 month ago and SAM'SHE has a test for this for
more than 1 year now). Hopefully we will get an official answer from
them :) ]

Guilherme Magalhães wrote:

> Hello Diniz,
>
>     Thank you very much for your comments, they're really clarifying.
> I hope your daughter is all right :)

She is fine thanks, it was quite scary, but I guess that part of the
'parenthood experience' :)

>     What I'm doing it's pretty much what you described, running all
> sites on diferent app polls with different users. But until now, I
> can't enable Full Trust on production servers for obvious security
> reasons.

I take my hat off to you, you are doing more than 99% of the IIS/Asp.Net
people I meet. Your company is very lucky in having you on board (let me
know if you ever think about new projects :)

> I'm testing the metabase ACLs and it's working pretty well on single
> server configuration, but it needs mode QA testing to be deployed on
> the hosting cluster.

Contact the guys at Orcs web if you want to exchange some ideas (I CCed
them on this email and they can be contacted at webteam@orcsweb.com)

> And it's also good to remember that CLSID_MSAdminBase_W can be created
> using classic ASP, what lead me in the early stages of server security
> to use Metabase ACLs.

You're right.

Btw, when you have some spare cycles, why don't you write a test for
SAM'SHE for the CLSID_MSAdminBase_W? At the moment SAM'SHE supports both
Asp.Net and ASP Classic tests

> I believe that, maybe coupled with application level firewall (that
> denies process lauch) and some hacking on interop functions of the
> .NET framework we could safelly enable full trust. But hey, I not sure
> about that yet :)

I doubt that you could ever pull this off. I am doing some research for
my Owasp US conference presentation (in October) which should prove
beyond any doubts that protecting Full Trust Asp.Net is impossible.

My presentation title is "Rooting .Net (Building a CLR RootKit)" which
should give you an idea of what I am doing (drop me a line if you are
interested in participating in this research)

>     I'm very concerd about IIS + ASP.net security too. Everywhere I
> look around seaching for papers or anything related to that, all I
> find is some great advice and warnings made by you but I don't see any
> concern on the majority of hosting providers.

Yes, and that is part of the reason why I stooped making noise about it.
Since nobody cares (including Microsoft), there is no point in making a
lot of noise and bringing this to the media (which would be so easy to
do (just expose a major ISP and their 'massively insecure Full Trust
Asp.Net environments') but would probably make people do very bad rushed
and panicky decisions).

So I am waiting patiently for the market to catch up and for all parties
involved (from Hosting providers, to companies who own massive Asp.Net
server farms, to Microsoft, to the government) to catch up and start the
dialog about how we are going to solve this mess. Note that you cannot
'patch' an application which was designed to be executed in Full Trust
Asp.Net!!

> I believe that what you said about Administrators and Developers are
> pretty much true, I'm almost horrified testing big host providers
> security.

Last time I look 99% of them where massively insecure and would not be
able to sustain an attacked launched from one of their shared hosting
account (and in some cases, even from their 'dedicated servers' accounts)

>     I'll try to post the progress and other info about IIS + ASP.net
> security while I go on with my tests.

Please do, the more we know about this problem, the more able we will be
to defend against it.

> One of the companies that I work for are considering to build a brand
> new .NET 2.0 based control panel focused on security, web clustering
> administration and easy code level customization, as from I see we
> can't rely on what's avaliable on the market today.

That sounds good, and we should also try to build something similar for
Owasp DotNet security tools. Anybody interested?