List:       owasp-dotnet
Subject:    [Owasp-dotnet] Re: Computer Misuse Act Section 1
From:       Michael Silk <michaelslists () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-04-20 2:10:23

On 4/20/05, Markus Willms <markus_willms@hotmail.com> wrote:> Hi Michael, the Group \
...> > apologies for the delay. The reason why I wrote this, is because a lot of> \
people seem to slagg off the Computer Misuse Act. I would like to know why> so? Not \
that I think that it is a perfect Act, although I do not think that> it is such a \
badly formulated one either. I only would like to know how you> could improve it? \
With examples and real cases, if possible. Ahh, I see.

> Additionally I would like to hear from people who have had first hand> experience \
> when they have been threatened to be prosecuted by this Act and> what the actual \
> case and arguments were.> > Concerning Scenario 4. I tried to make the point that \
> by merely looking at> the computer, containing whatever information, and the \
> fingers off the> keyboard and mouse, Marc does not commit a crime under the \
> Computer Misuse> Act, as he does not 'cause the computer to perform a function'.
I still think he does. He has secured access to something he is notauthorised for \
(term b). By looking at the computer he is securingaccessing. You're right though, he \
didn't actually click anything ortype anything, to make the computer display it, but \
I still think hecould be prosecuted under this law, and others. But I guess it's up \
                tointerpretation.
-- Michael